Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Response to: "The Sleeper Curve"

In interviewing my mother, I discovered that her interests in television as well as novels are indeed very similar to my own. Her as well as my grandmother enjoy murder mystery novels such as those crafted by Michael Connelly. As far as TV shows, the values that were instilled in her as a youngster with good cop catches criminal are still an interest; Shows such as CSI and, Criminal Minds spark such an interest. These "black and white" type values reflect still in her choice of story. The "grey" area she then described, would lie within the numerous reality series that have become a fixed interest for me over the years. This reference to the black, white and grey coloring is indeed the difference of preference on our generations. I believe that my generation calls for a "grey" simply because we have learned from the "black and white" and grow from the evolution Steven Johnson writes about. While the values of my mothers generation are still present today, my generation installs a "grey" area for change and acceptance. This change can only come with time. While television continues to become more controversial I believe generations after will become more accepting and "todays popular culture..." will indeed make "us smarter"!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment